Thursday 9th February is a historic day for young lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and questioning (LGBTQ) people living in Cornwall, as it marks the opening of the county’s first ever centre dedicated to supporting and advocating for LGBTQ youth.
Behind this venture is an organisation known as LGBTQ Youth Cornwall which, for the last three years, has been managing a support and social group called YAY! (a name chosen by members of the group meaning: Young and Yourself!). In the past, the group have met in coffee shops and other youth centres, but are now delighted to have found their own home at last thanks to funding from BBC Children in Need!
This dedicated centre will enable LGBTQ Youth Cornwall to increase and vary the services that they provide for this sector of our community, as well as encouraging the young people to develop that vital sense of ownership and belonging.
Kate Sicolo Chair of LGBTQ Youth Cornwall said ‘ We are delighted that the funding from BBC Children in Need has enabled us to open this centre and develop the services for young LGBTQ people in Cornwall.’
More YAY dates for your 2012 diary:
- Sunday 29th 12noon-2pm drop in Truro
- Saturday 4th 6pm-9pm members meeting Truro
- Thursday 9th 4pm-6pm launch event Truro
- Thursday 16th 6pm-9pm film night Truro
- Wednesday 22nd3.15-5pm Bude
- Sunday 26th 12 noon-2pm drop in Truro
- Saturday 3rd 6pm-9pm members meeting Truro
- Thursday 15th 6pm-9pm film night Truro
- Friday 23rdTime to be confirmed Bodmin
- Sunday 25th 12noon-2pm drop in Truro